Friday, June 12, 2009


Not bad for my third attempt? I I failed my first two attempts. My husband laughed at me too. I determined to keep trying until I learn this skill.

1 packet Fleischmann's active dry yeast
1 T. honey
1 1/4 c. lukewarm water (105-115 degrees)
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3 c. bread flour

In a large bowl, pour the room temperature water.

Empty the yeast packet into the water.

Add the honey and let it sit for about 10 minutes, so the yeast can begin to grow.

Then add the flour, all at once.

Work it in with a spoon until it's mostly incorporated.

Wet your hands with plain water to prevent sticking to your hands and keep working, kneading and pounding on the dough until you feel tired.

Then shape the dough into a ball and grease the inside of the bowl and the top of the ball with a little olive oil.

Cover it and let it sit in a warm environment until it doubles in size.

Punch it down, re-shape it into a ball, grease the top of the ball and cover it again.

Let it rise again and punch it down again.

This time divide the dough into 5 to 8 balls and line them up on a tray or large plate.

Roll them out one by one with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, or if you have sculptor's hands, just use your hands to flatten the balls one at a time once you are ready to bake it.

Preheat the oven at 500 degrees farenheit with a pizza stone inside, if you have one.

If you don't, just use large pizza pans and don't preheat those, they heat fast enough when popped into the oven.

It only takes a few minutes to bake each one.
When I use pizza pans I wait until the bread has lots of bubbles across the top, then I flip it over and return it to the oven for about 30 seconds longer to brown the other side a little.
Be very careful not to over-bake it, it'll be as hard as a rock.
I cover them with either paper towels or clean tea towels until they have cooled and then store them in plastic to keep it soft until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If it ain't simple, I don't cook it."